Our senior civil servants (SCS) do an amazing job of leading teams who are vital to the delivery of government services and priorities in a variety of challenging situations. Evermore crucial to that delivery is digital.
Of course those SCS who work within the digital, data and technology (DDaT) field are vitally important, however, it is also key that we at the Central Digital and Data Office (CDDO) support and empower those SCS who are non DDaT focused to operate in an increasingly digital world.
Embracing digital transformation
To do so we are excited to be hosting an Autumn of Digital Learning, which is a programme of events designed specifically for the digital learning and development of SCS and their teams to achieve their digital goals as part of the roadmap for digital and data transformation led by the CDDO
The events’ schedule
Something is happening every week to help the government's transformation and upskilling within the DDaT and Innovation space. See the programme of events below and follow CDDO on EventBrite for updates.
- 26 - 30 September - Data Community Festival - DataConnect22 - a joint initiative from the Office for National Statistics and the Data Strategy and Standards team in CDDO. The week is packed with online and free to join sessions on everything from data governance to data architecture and data ethics. Sign up for sessions Data Connect22 now - you don’t need to be a data or digital whizz to get involved!
- 19 October - 1500-15:45 - Live Webinar - Gavin Dollin, BEIS, Creating a Data Management System
- 13th October – 11:30-12:15 - Live Webinar - Jacqui Leggetter, DWP - Moving from outsourced IT
- 18th October - 15:00 - 15:45 - Live Webinar - Lesley Thompson and Catherine Hope - DWP - Turning Digital (an innovation journey that left the telephone service behind)
- w/c 24 October - 1-1 Innovation Mentoring Clinics - Do you have an Innovation Project that you need support with? Register your interest for an Innovation Mentoring Clinic - a one-to-one video conference with an Innovation Mentor who will be able to give you sound advice on how to start and move your Innovation project forward.
- w/c 31 October - Innovation Masterclass - an asynchronous online course, featuring videos and case studies from the world’s leading innovators. CDDO will also supplement the online element with online learning and networking opportunities. The programme breaks down the art of innovation into small steps you can apply to your future projects; you will also learn how to evaluate ideas and pitch solutions. Enrolment is available to the current and future Senior Civil Servants via this link.
- w/c 14th November - Digital Leaders’ Innovation Week - This external programme of talks, writing, conferences and awards are all free to access to ensure maximum accessibility as we build the UK’s digital confidence together to leverage technology for economic and social gain.
These events are only open to public sector employees, please use a gov.uk email address when registering.
Senior Civil Servants and those working in grade 6 and 7 roles who already completed the Innovation Masterclass Programme are invited to take up the Data Masterclass - please reach out to Data.Masterclass@ons.gov.uk
Other courses we feel may be of interest to anyone who would like to know more about DDaT and Innovation:
- Agile Awareness Workshop: Covering the fundamental principles and methods of Agile, this course is necessary for anyone who wants to develop an innovative mindset. Be inspired to adopt this approach within your own team, challenging traditional and sometimes inefficient forms of delivery.
- Debiasing Decision-making in government: We know that user needs should be at the centre of all we do. Learn how to use behavioural insights to counter our cognitive biases and make better calibrated decisions. It’s the next step to better project planning, delivery and policy outcomes.
- Policy to delivery: a face to face course that focuses on multidisciplinary working that frontloads technical expertise and subject matter expertise; evidence-led policy and service design focusing on citizen-centred design and systems thinking; end-to-end delivery that joins up policy intent to delivery outcomes to assure public value early. Email Andrew.KNIGHT@policyprofession.gov.uk for more information.